How to Get Rid of Chest Congestion
HOW TO GET RID OF CHEST CONGESTION
Chest congestion happens when the respiratory system has been infected. Normally, we don’t just breathe in carbon dioxide which we need to survive. We also breathe in dusts, particles, germs, bacteria and other pollutants that are in the air. These things thicken the mucus in the chest which can lead to congestion. It occurs as the lower tract of the respiratory system becomes inflamed which in turn, makes it difficult to breathe. Since it is a condition that happens to many people and everyone will experience it at least once in their lifetime, it is important to know how to get rid of chest congestion. It is even all the more so as it is a recurrent phenomenon that many people battle with on a daily basis.
Chest congestion occurs as cilia (the tiny hairs around the membranes of the nose) traps the mucus formed by these particles and transports tit to the throat. In many cases, it feels like the chest will be decongested by simply coughing out the mucus but that is usually not that case and special attention has to be given to actually decongest the chest. It is only when the mucus is minimal that it doesn’t lead to serious congestion and can be coughed out.
Causes of Chest Congestion
Chest congestion is a result of blockage of the respiratory system by bacteria, viruses, and other pollutants. However, some other reasons may be responsible for chest congestion which include;
- Infection of the respiratory system
- Common cold
- Diseases of the heart
- Infection caused by viruses
- Lung cancer
- Exposure to poisonous chemicals and gases
- Bronchitis and many more
Symptoms of Chest Congestion
Since chest congestion can range from simple to complex, it is important to know when simply clearing your throat and coughing will get you what you want and when you may have to adopt more serious measures. Here are ways to know you have chest congestion;
- Difficulty in breathing
- Coughing incessantly
- Feeling a lump in the throat
- Chest pain
- Making a noise while breathing
- Finding it difficult to swallow
- Having phlegm in the lungs
- Runny nose
- Coughing out blood
- Throat pain
Natural Remedies to Get Rid Of Chest Congestion
It is not just enough to know how to get rid of chest congestion, rather it is important to many people to know how to get it done fast. Yet, for some others, they just want to know how to get rid of chest congestion overnight. Fortunately, the home remedies discussed in this article are capable of giving you what you need.
Salt Water Gargle
This is about the most common treatment of chest congestion. Gargle with salt water as many times a day as you can to decongest the chest. Salt will remove mucus from the tract and serve as a lubricant easing the transportation of the mucus causing blockage. Just add some pinches of salt to lukewarm water. You may also add turmeric to the mixture for quicker effect. Salt water gargle will free up your respiratory system in no time and you will be able to breathe easy again.
Lemon is an effective natural home remedy to get rid of chest congestion. It is acidic and therefore, thins out the mucus making for easily flow and getting rid of chest congestion. Many people swear by lemon treatment anytime they have chest congestion. Moreover, lemon also contains vitamin C which greatly boosts the immune system making the body resistant to infection that can be caused by inhaling certain bacteria or viruses. To use lemon juice to get rid of chest congestion, you can add a few drops to a glass of hot water, honey is another helpful addition. Drink the mixture several times a day until all the mucus is expelled from the respiratory system and the chest is unclogged.
This herb is of immense benefit to mankind and has proved helpful in treating many health conditions. Bay leaf has also proved to be capable of getting rid of chest congestion. By drinking tea that is made from this leaf, you will be opening up your respiratory system and mucus and other impediments will find their way out. All you have to do is boil fresh bay leaves in water and drink warm. Apart from the tea extract, you can also transform the boiled leaves to a hot compress which you can press against your chest to decongest it.
Heat works well for chest congestion and targeting heat towards the throat and chest is an effective way to get rid of chest congestion. Moreover, steaming provides instant relief from chest congestion as you practically feel the mucus melting and thinning and you can easily cough it out or draw it out. Here’s how to use steam to get rid of chest congestion;
- Fill up a clean bowl with hot water
- It is advisable you add some drops of peppermint or eucalyptus oil, something with menthol to the water
- Face over the bowl and cover yourself with a towel. Ensure the towel traps heat from the bowl.
- Inhale as the heat escapes towards your face. Draw in deep breaths in succession.
- Another alternative to this is to soak in a hot bath while paying attention to the chest area and drawing in deep breaths.
Honey is a popular home remedy to get rid of chest congestion because it works. It also works to reduce the thickness of the mucus thereby enhancing its free flow and decongesting the chest. Honey also protects the body and prevents the development of infection from the inhaled bacteria and viruses. To use honey to get rid of chest congestion, use it as follows;
- Eat a teaspoonful of raw and organic honey as many times as you can over the course of the day
- You can also choose to mix honey with warm water and drink. Repeat this treatment several times in a day
- Another option is to mix honey with black pepper. To form a paste. This treatment option will provide instant relief from chest congestion and the accompanying chest pains.
Apple Cider Vinegar
This remedy helps to get rid of chest congestion by thinning the mucus causing the congestion and making it easy to cough, spit or draw it out. ACV usage makes it easier to breathe and get rids of some other symptoms associated with chest congestion. Since it is acidic, it also regulates the pH of the body thereby boosting the immune system and making it impossible for infection to develop when bacteria and fungi have been inhaled. You can use raw and organic ACV by adding it to a cup of warm water or you can mix it with honey and drink several times a day. Repeat treatment until the chest is totally decongested.
Garlic has properties that make t highly effective for getting rid of chest congestion. Thanks to its antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties, garlic has the ability to thin the thick mucus and make it flow easily. It also prevents and fights against the infections that can be caused by congestion. It can also serve as an antibody that boosts the immune system and keeps a person healthy. Garlic is highly effective for getting rid of chest congestion caused but common cold and bacterial or viral infections. Here is how you can use garlic to get rid of chest congestion;
- Crush some cloves of garlic and mix with honey and/or warm water
- Stir well together and drink the mixture several times daily
- You can also mix lemon juice with garlic instead of honey n. in this case, mix with hot water and add a pinch of salt.
- You can also directly eat fresh garlic cloves to get rid of chest congestion.
Turmeric is a popular home remedy for treating chest congestion. Curcumin, an active substance in turmeric is widely known to lighten mucus and thin it up making for easy flow. It also works to give relief from chest pain and some other symptoms of chest congestion. Turmeric fights against cough, blockage of throat b and pain as well. Many people often mix turmeric with honey or lemon to use for chest congestion. You can also use turmeric gargle to fight chest congestion. Just add a pinch to warm water and gargle it to lighten mucus and make for easy flow and respiration. You should repeat turmeric treatment several times a day until chest congestion becomes history. Not that this treatment option is not suitable for persons with gallstones and stomach ulcers.
This is an expectorant that helps to get rid of chest congestion naturally. Licorice will free up the respiratory system and get rid of some accompanying symptoms of chest congestion. Overall, it frees up the nasal cavity and makes it easy to breathe it is important to know that licorice treatment is not suitable for treating chest congestion among those who have high blood pressure. Here is how to use licorice for chest congestion;
- Mix licorice root with hot water.
- Cover the mixture and allow the root to seep and soak into the water
- Strain the water and add honey
- Drink about 3 times daily
- You can also mix licorice powder with ginger and add the substance to a glass of hot water for drinking.
Ginger helps to get rid of chest infection because it is anti-inflammatory and helps to boost the immune system. It contains polyphenols that slow down the development of mucus in the first place. As such, taking ginger should not be limited to when you have chest congestion alone as it can be highly effective against developing chest congestion to begin with. Ginger also fights infections that can both be the cause and effect of chest congestion. Here is how to use ginger to get rid of chest congestion;
- Add fresh ginger to a cup of hot water
- Cover up and allow the flavor seep into the water
- Strain, add honey and drink
- Repeat treatment 2-3 times daily
- You can also directly chew ginger on a regular basis to get rid of chest congestion
- Or you can grind dry ginger and black pepper together to form a powder which you can mix with honey and milk and take 2-3 times daily
Alternative Ways to Get Rid Of Chest Congestion
These include lifestyle changes and adjustments as well as homeopathic ttreatment options to get rid of chest congestion.
There are some lifestyle changes and adjustments you can make that will greatly reduce your vulnerability to chest congestion or also get rid of it when you have one. They include;
- Drink black coffee regularly
- Eat foods that are rich in vitamins especially, fruits and vegetables and eating a lot of spices will greatly be of help
- Maintain proper hygiene by staying dust free and cleaning your surroundings
- Stay hydrated. This will flush out toxins and some bodily fluids. It will also dilute mucus and make it flow easily
- Dehumidify during night periods to cleanse the air and clear your nasal cavity
- Drink chicken soup as it is suitable for reducing inflammation and warming you up from the inside thereby reducing or eliminating chest congestion
- Sleep and rest well and in good time. Avoid stress at all costs.
Homeopathic remedies are also effective ways to get rid of chest congestion. They are easy to use and come with no side effects. Therefore, they are safer alternatives to medications. Homeopathic treatments include;
- The use of bryonia alba which works best for chest congestions that are accompanied by headaches and dry coughs.
- Using natrum muriaticum is suitable for cases of watery chest congestion
- Kali bichromicum thins thick mucus and works well for chest congestion caused by bronchitis.