How to Get Rid of Oily Skin
When excess oil is produced by the sebaceous gland causing an imbalance in the system, it leads to oily skin. There are several factors that cause oily skin and these include poor skin care, poor diet, heredity, stress, hormonal shifts, pregnancy, menopause, menstrual period, use of birth control pills and use of cosmetics that are not suitable for your skin type. Attainment of puberty also causes oily skin because of the changes going on in the body. A lot of people are constantly struggling with this type of skin are always looking for how to get rid of their oily skin because having excess oil on the skin can result into acne, black-heads, white-heads, pimples and spots on the affected area.
Old skin on the face also needs to be removed because it is responsible for trapping dirt and oil underneath the skin and this prevents the skin from getting oxygen. This creates a breeding ground for bacteria and leads to acne coming out on the face.
The production of oil in the body is supposed to help you have a healthy skin but when it is produced in excess, it becomes a problem. People with oily skin normally have large pores and shiny skin because of too much oil. The advantage of oily skin is that it gets better with age and does not have as much wrinkles as normal or dry skin when one grows older.
There are a lot of effective means that you can use to put oily skin under control without wasting money on expensive creams. A few lifestyle changes and some simple and inexpensive home remedies will help you put the skin condition under control and in no time, you will begin to enjoy oil free skin that is healthy.
Oily skin can be got rid of by using the following:
The juice from lemon has antiseptic properties and it is an astringent that is good for the skin. It is capable of restoring the PH balance of the skin and also brightens up the skin.
- Mix equal parts of the juice from fresh lemon with equal parts of water
- Apply with a ball of cotton wool on your skin and let it stay for ten to twenty minutes
- Rinse it off with warm water and apply a moisturizer to the skin
Tomatoes are a rich source of vitamin C and vitamin A which is good for the skin. They are also acidic, contain anti-oxidants and have astringent properties which make it good for helping to rid the skin of excessive oil. This it does by tightening the pores of the skin.
- Cut a tomato into two and rub the juice on freshly washed face so that the juice can penetrate deep into the skin
- Leave it on for 15 to 20 minutes and then rinse it off with cold water
- You can repeat the process three times a week for best results.
Egg whites help to shrink wide pores and tighten the skin. It is a rich source of vitamin A that also tones the skin. It will leave your skin oil free and glowing after use.
- Break 1 big egg into a bowl and separate the yolk from the white
- Add about 4 drops of fresh lemon juice and blend it together
- Wash your face and dry it
- Rinse your face with warm water and begin to apply the mixture to your face by rubbing it in a circular motion upward
- Leave the mask on for about 10-15 minutes when it should have become hard and totally dry
- Rinse it off with lukewarm water and apply a moisturizer on your face
Using clay masks on oily skin helps to reduce the oil, reduce large pores and helps to clean stale make up, dirt and rid the skin of dead cells.
- Add a tablespoon of clay, a teaspoon of apricot kernel oil and about 3 drops of lemon essential oil together
- Add a few drops of warm water to it and mix them together
- Apply the mask to your skin and let it stay on for 10-15 minutes
- Wash it off with a warm towel
- Repeat the process once a week to get oil free skin
APPLE CIDER VINEGAR
Apple cider vinegar helps to break down sebum plugs which clog pores because it contains alpha-hydroxy. The alpha-hydroxy helps to eliminate and dissolve the dead skin that is on the skin. This enables the skin to be free with nothing to clog your pores. The helps you get fresh and glowing skin that does not have excess oil on it.
- Dilute 2 parts of apple cider vinegar with 4 parts of water in a clean bottle
- Apply it on your face with a ball of cotton wool after washing and drying your face
- You can leave it on and apply a moisturizer or wash it off if you like
- Apply it in the morning and at night before you go to sleep every day for the next 2 weeks
Once you get used to the apple cider vinegar, you can increase the strength to 2 equal parts diluted into 2 equal parts of water or you can also use it without diluting it if your skin is not too sensitive. Get the organic apple cider vinegar that has the mother at the bottom, because this is the one that works best.
Not only is cucumber good for reducing puffiness around the eye, it also works well for controlling oily skin. This is because of its nourishing, hydrating and astringent properties. It is high in vitamin A, E, potassium and magnesium which make it helpful in the restoration of the skin and protection of the natural acid mantle.
- Cut fresh cucumber into small pieces and add one fresh lime juice into it
- Blend it together and add a teaspoon of honey to it
- Put it in the fridge for about 10 to 15 minutes to chill
- Apply the mixture to your skin and let it stay on for about 10 to 15 minutes
- Wash it off first with warm water and then use cold water for a final rinse to close your pores
MILK OF MAGNESIA
Milk of magnesia is an ancient medicine that is used as a laxative and it is not dairy product. It is a milky white liquid and it is made from magnesium hydroxide, sodium hypochlorite and water. It is capable of removing excess oil from the skin. It helps to reduce pores and removes black head and also evens out the skin tone. It can also help to stop other irritations and blemishes that can come on the skin as a result of excess oil.
- Wash your face and dry it with a towel
- The consistency is like that of calamine lotion , so apply a thin layer of the milk of magnesia on your face with a ball of cotton wool
- Leave it on for about 10 minutes and rinse it off in water
- You can leave it on and apply your make-up as usual
Oily patches on the skin can be dried up by using corn-starch on it.
- Add water to two tablespoons of corn-starch until you get a fine paste
- Apply the paste on your skin and leave it on for some minutes
- Rinse if off with warm water and repeat daily
HONEY AND ALMOND SCRUB
The combination of honey and almond works well as a mild scrub on oily skin. It removes excess oil, dead cells and dirt from oily skin when used regularly.
- Ground some almond and mix it with 2 teaspoon of honey to make a paste
- Massage the paste on your skin but make sure you don’t scrub it.
- Rinse it off with water and repeat the process regularly till you eliminate excess oil from your skin
Using milk as a cleanser for oily skin helps you to get rid of the excess oil on it. Milk contains B-vitamins, calcium, alpha hydroxyl acids and some potent antioxidants that make it beneficial for oily skin. It keeps the skin nourished deeply from within and tightens wide pores. How to get rid of oily skin with milk is easy.
- Mix 2 teaspoons of milk with lavender oil
- Wash your face and dry with a towel before applying the mixture on it
- Let it stay overnight and wash it off with water
- You can repeat the process daily for oil free skin
Yogurt has a lot of vitamins in it and is good for clearing pimples and acne on oily face. It contains zinc, lactic acid, calcium and B-vitamins which are good for getting rid of oil on the face. Buy the plain and unsweetened type as these ones have live cultures in them and give you good result when used. The ones that come with flavours can irritate and make existing skin conditions become worse.
- Apply plain yogurt and all over your face and leave it on for 10 to 15 minutes
- Rinse it off with cold water
- Do it once a day for best results
Apart from using all these home remedies for getting rid of oily skin, there are other things you should do to have oil free and smoother skin.
WASH YOUR FACE TWICE A DAY
Do not wash your face too often. You only need to wash it two times a day; in the morning and at night before you sleep. When you wash too much, your glands responds by producing more oil thinking that the skin does not have sufficient oil to protect it since the sebaceous gland produces sebum to protect the face.
WASH WITH WARM WATER
Wash your face with warm water to open up your pores and do a final rinse with cold water. Do not use hot water as it can dry out the skin. After the cold rinse, gently pat your skin dry with a towel that is clean.
USE OIL-FREE MOISTURIZERS
Make use of oil-free moisturizers on your skin and sunscreen to protect your skin when you are in the sun. The moisturizer keeps your skin hydrated. Without moisturizing the skin, more oil will be produced.
DRINK ENOUGH WATER
Drink enough water daily to keep your skin hydrated and stop excessive production of oil. This will help with the maintenance and regulation of the way oil is produced in your skin. Your skin oil will become regulated and in the course of time, it will become less oily. You need to drink 2 litres of water or drink 8 glasses of water daily. Taking too much of alcohol or carbonated drink is also not good for your body.
It is necessary to drink water in the right amount so that the body system and organs can function optimally. The skin can become sallow, cracked and dry when it is dehydrated and this will cause the oil glands situated in the skin to start overproducing sebum and oil to make up for lack of hydration. This in turn causes acne and oily skin. Drinking enough water every day will help to correct this problem.
LESSEN YOUR USE OF SALT AND SUGAR AND REDUCE FATTY FOODS
What you eat can affect the state of your skin. Eating too much of salt, sugar and fatty foods will only worsen the condition of oily skin.
Having a healthy diet can help improve the health of your skin if you have oily skin. There is new evidence that when you include certain kinds of foods in your diet, your skin may be able to reduce the production of oil and help you achieve smoother and healthier skin. Your diet should consist of lots of leafy greens and fresh fruits. Low glycemic carbs like Whole grain pasta and bread, whole grains, oatmeal, sweet potatoes, protein rich foods like beans, and food that are low in fat is what your diet should include.
Some dairy food like milk also increases the production of the hormones responsible for causing oily skin. This can be replaced with alternatives like plant milk. Go for almond milk, soy milk or rice milk if you do not want dairy based milk.